Friday, January 14, 2005

Back catalogues

I don't want to see too many back catalogues. For a time I violated this principle with Nick Drake, U2 and Beth Orton, but since the new U2 album I no longer have the back catalogue.

So it's safe to say that there should be no more than two full back catalogues in a CD collection. More than that suggests undue obsession, which just isn't attractive.

As per usual, burnt CDs don't count. If a full back catalogue is completed with a couple of burnt CDs, it is ok because it suggests a rather lackadaisical approach to the gathering of one band's albums. I bought the latest U2 CD in Vietnam; it was a dodgy copy so does not render my collection unattractive.

Much as I love Joni Mitchell, I don't want to see a full back catalogue. At least one CD from the 1980s should be missing. Anything from the 60s or 70s is ok, although Marc would argue that a person should have no more than four of her CDs, which I think is ridiculously limiting.

I can't remember what Hiroko thought about this matter.

Back catalogues of mid-nineties drum'n'bass producers are never ok. Never.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

I think that not only should there be a limitation on the number of albums but certainly the following should also hold true:

If all of the singles are owned, as well as all of the albums (burned CDs counting toward neither), then this person is a big freak. I have been guilty of this in my formative years when I was a Super Furry Animals entire-catalogue owner, and also as a somewhat misguided Pop Will Eat Itself fan, buying vinyl with nothing to play it on ("But it's only fifty Pee!" I would cry).

As they would say on Grange Hill: Just Say No!

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home