Sunday, March 06, 2005

West Coast nights

Having thought more about the R'n'B issue, I have concluded that a distinction needs to be drawn between LA sound, British R'n'B and plain lame mass produced American radio fodder.

All of this because I can kind of dig Sade.

I would allow up to 2 Sade albums and a scattering of the first two categories. There might be a fourth category, containing for example the likes of Lauryn Hill and Missy Elliott, but then we bring up the whole hip hop blurred boundary thing again and I get all confused.

I guess at the end of the day, the R'n'B motto just needs to be "proceed with caution," and ultimately I will only decide what is OK once I actually see the CD collection in question.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

Sade is not R&B. Sorry for genre hairsplitting, but Sade is pop. My Dad even likes Sade to an extent.

Anyway, Sade (1 CD, or 3 absolute max and must have extenuating circumstances) was part of a British jazz-pop renaissance with Matt Bianco (0 CD maximum unless related to one of the members) being around at roughly the same time if my memeory serves correctly from Saturday morning TV as a prepubescent child.

R&B is like hip-hop with singing and only short bursts of rapping, and is usually glossily produced.

Macy Gray, Erykah Badu, and Destiny's Child are R&B apparently. I would say yes to the first two, but most people would say "maybe" to Macy Gray and Erykah Badu and "yes" to Destiny's Child. But in my opinion Destiny's Child are pop, whereas the former two have Rhythm and Blue insinuated by the contraction of R&B.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice site pete and fellows.

in my opinion, anyone with the middle name of "misdemeanor" is too tough to be r&b and missy elliott is a hip hop artist anyhow. she really doesn't strike me as being blue.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home