Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Your Unicorn Does Not Impress Me

I think that we might have this covered in previous posts about prog rock and the like but I don't think very much science-fiction or fantasy themed music is particularly good if it's lyrical. I don't like opera particularly, so Mozart's The Magic Flute is lost on me. But apart from this, one should not possess any more than one Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett album. The Jeff Wayne soundtrack to War Of The Worlds is acceptable purely because it is a soundtrack. But groups of grown men (and let's face it, it is usually men) singing about goblins and unicorns and other such nonsense is laughable and makes one think that if such records are in your collection that you are still having a kind of nerdy, extended childhood manifested in Games Workshop figurine painting, or way too much time spent playing RPGs on the internet. And yes, Queen and T-Rex and such do count. The Pixies (all four studio albums) have a get-out clause because it's only on Trompe Le Mode and Frank Black solo stuff (one album, curiosity value only). Also, The Flaming Lips might be a bit of a fine line if the rest of the new album is like "The WAND".

3 Comments:

Blogger peter said...

I suspect I may be a little more forgiving than you when it comes to progressive rock, for example I will not be offended by King Crimson or Yes, within the confines of the 'no obsession' clause of course.

One wonders about some of the Ziggy Stardust and related quirk... love David Bowie but there really is a limit. Not to mention anything that inspires a gothic manner of dress and courtly dancing, as call me intolerant but I have little time for such things.

Concur thoroughly on the Games Workshop points... not cool at all.

4:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

know your bowie!!

3:27 AM  
Blogger PetStarr said...

Crap fantasy lyrics are exactly the reason why I'm anti Wolfmother. Sometimes, against my best intentions, I find myself rocking out to their awesome guitar riffs, and then I hear crap about a unicorn and jokers and thieves and utter shite like "And I know it's on your mind // we've been drinking on the wine // that we drank from the serpent's vine"... Good GOD. I want to beat them about the head and scream "IT'S NOT 1970, YOU'RE NOT LED ZEPPELIN AND YOU'RE NOT AT AN ACID PARTY, OK?" Anyway, love this blog.

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home