Thursday, July 20, 2006

Derivative rock rehashings + funky soul whatever

The current crop of derivative 70s rock bands has a place, and that place is, I feel, in live shows.

I am not sure if anyone really needs a Wolfmother album, however wonderful their mystical cover art may be.

However, discovering a ticket stub to a Wolfmother concert would not be cause to kick someone out of your life, because they probably had a whole lot of fun, just as I did when I attended the Wolfmother show in London.

But you didn't see me come away with a CD in my hand.

By its very nature, much of this kind of music is rendered flawed by this related issue.

As for Gnarls Barkley, well I have the St Elsewhere disc and love about 40% of it. The other half veers from average to uncomfortably-close-to-Outkast (no, no, no, no, NO), so I don't think we can get too excited about them yet. I certainly wouldn't want to find evidence of a pre-order for their next album while rummaging through a prospective partner's wallet / receipts drawer.

Noonday Underground are a cooler Gnarls Barkley in many ways, and both Self Assembly and Surface Noise are allowed, indeed even encouraged.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

Wolfmother: totally agree. Nothing else to be said.

However, what about so-called credible bands that just bash out a load of old cobblers and pretending it's new? This could be the thing that bugs me about Gnarls Barkley: they're supposedly so nu-soul, but it sounds like Curtis Mayfield with synthesizers and programmed beats (but not as good as that concept sounds). Some Air sounds rather too much like Pink Floyd circa Obscured By Clouds, too, which is why I can't possibly allow 10000 Hz Legend into a record collection. And as for Razorlight, who are Laxton's Superb with record sales, and all that other music for young adults, go back to your copies of Gold Against The Soul and Duran Duran back catalogue. There, I've said it.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home