Saturday, July 29, 2006

Can't hold me back in the chorus

I am totally down with that recent crop of bands in which everyone seems to be having a good old sing-a-long... Architecture in Helsinki springs to mind, who I just love (own one of their discs and I may just bare my beating heart).

Other bands in this category include Of Montreal (my recent exposure to Satanic Panic in the Attic has left me quite the fan; owning this disc will do you no harm at all), Arcade Fire (who Marc and I have never agreed on... their next CD will prove very telling I do think), Feathers, Danielson (although I wouldn't want to see more than two of their albums) and much of the new weird folk movement.

In a slightly different vein, one is allowed two or three Neko Case CDs, but only the first Coco Rosie disc.

2 Comments:

Blogger peter said...

and i'd like to make a brief mention of Jens Lekman and TV on the Radio, both of which tend to have sing-a-long elements from time to time, but you can only own one of the former (because how many quirky scandinavians do you really need?), and perhaps two of the latter.

2:32 AM  
Blogger Marc said...

I would be happy to see any Architecture In Helsinki and TV On The Radio in anybody's collection. However, both bands stick to their own formulae, the former being Oompah-jamming singalongs, the latter being Prince covering Gang of Four (or vice versa). The Lemon Jelly self-similarity quadratic applies. The Lemon Jelly self-similarity quadratic is:

No. of similar sounding albums >= No. of different albums

Number=equal number


However, in this case, neither Lemon Jelly, AiH or TVotR have made a sufficiently different album than their others, so the number is 1.

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home